[texbirds] Martin Dies SP and upper Tx. coast

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 22:51:10 -0500

I made my annual trip to the old stomping grounds by way of Jasper and then to
Sabine Pass Woods, High Island areas, Anahuac WR and then down to Bolivar
Flats. Staying with friends in College Station on Sunday night I departed for
Jasper on Monday a.m. I counted a Western Kingbird I observed in CS and then
made a stop at Martin Dies State Park on Monday p.m. and then again early Tues
a.m. A few warblers added included: Swainson's, Hooded, N. Parula, Pine,
Kentucky (heard only), Prothonotary and Yellow-throated. The best bird here was
the Hairy Woodpecker near the bridge over the slough in the Hen House Ridge
Unit north of Highway 190.
Later on Tuesday we visited Tyrell Park and the Cattail Marsh in Beaumont where
we picked up a good assortment of shorebirds and Red-headed Woodpecker, which I
usually get in this area. After lunch we visited Sabine Pass Woods. Things were
slow here but did manage a few warblers including Tennesee, Chestnut-sided,
Blackburnian and Bay-breasted. On Wednesday we visited Anahuac WR in the a.m.
to pick up the Ruff at the end of the boardwalk pier south of the visitor
center. We had great looks at this species and others including Stilt
Sandpiper, a few peeps and a couple 2 or 3 Solitary Sandpipers. We did the High
Island properties (Boy Scout Woods, Smith Oaks and Hook Woods) but passerine
movement was mostly slow. I was hoping the good north wind would show more.
Between Martin Dies, Sabine Pass and High Island we ended up with 18 species of
warblers but individual numbers very low. The two White-tailed Kites on
Retillon Road (which goes to Bolivar Flats)were great and nice to get this
species on the peninsula again. The flats are always a good place to see birds.
We filled up our checklist here and the folks I was with enjoyed the
side-by-side scope view of a Royal and Caspian Tern. No Snowy Plovers or Red
Knots. I had a single Horned Lark which I think had been a while for me at this
location.

From Martin Dies SP through Bolivar Flats I had 156 species.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.