[texbirds] Lubbock highlights - Sunday

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
On Sunday, 30 June 2013, I spent eight hours chasing birds (and other critters)
in my Lubbock area patch - hoping to add a few critters to my annual patch
tally and to make it to 100 species of bird for the June Challenge.  The first
critter of the day was a Common Poorwill (at 6:00 AM) in a dip along Olive
Street; the last critter of the day was a Gulf Fritillary (at 2:00 PM) hitting
the lantanas at Clapp Park.  All in all, I tallied 27species of butterfly, 3
species of amphibian, 8 species of reptile, 71 species of bird, and 7 species
of mammal without leaving my patch - and, yes, I did make it to 100 for the
month with Inca Doves near Guy Park the last species of bird added to my June
list for the patch.

Highlights included (in order of appearance): 1 Common Poorwill, 1 Eastern
Phoebe, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, and 1 Great Egret at/over Olive Street; 1
Cackling Goose, 8 Canada Geese, 2 male Common Yellowthroats, and 1 Carolina
Wren at Mae Simmons Park; 1 horrible-looking male Wood Duck and 1 Snowy Egret
at MacKenzie Park; 6 Black-necked Stilts, 2 American Avocets, and 24
White-faced Ibises near the intersection of CR 1700 and CR 2641; 13
Black-necked Stilts, 6 American Avocets, 1 Great Egret, and 1 ratty-looking
female Northern Pintail at McAlister Park; 1 Cackling Goose, 1 Canada Goose, 22
Snowy Egrets, 1 male Wood Duck, 2 Neotropic Cormorants, 11 Double-crested
Cormorants, 28 Cattle Egrets, and 23 White-faced Ibises at Leroy Elmore Park; 2
American Avocets, 3 Black-necked Stilts, and 3 Inca Doves by ear (6 were
relocated later in the evening - as the June Challenge required visual
identification) at Guy Park; 5 Canada Geese at Earl Crow Park; 1
 Snowy Egret at Miller Park; 1 female/2 male Bronzed Cowbirds and 2
Yellow-crowned Night Herons at Clapp Park.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock