[texbirds] Lubbock Highlights - This Morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:32:17 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I spent four, mostly morning hours, birding in Lubbock this morning.  I spent
decent chunks of time along the river below Lake Six, at Lake Six, at Mae
Simmons Park, at MacKenzie Park, and at Clapp Park.

Highlights from below Lake Six: 1 Swainson's Hawk, 1 Merlin, 3 Barn Swallows, 4
Cliff Swallows, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch,  1 Rock Wren, 1 Winter Wren, 1 male
Common Yellowthroat, and 1 Swamp Sparrow.

Highlights from Lake Six: 1 male Greater Scaup at the Kayak Landing (there were
2 female and 1 male Lesser Scaups close to MLK Drive), 1 Eared Grebe, 1 Osprey,
7 Barn Swallows, and 21 Cedar Waxwings.

Highlights from Mae Simmons Park: 2 Blue-winged Teals and 2 Common Gallinules.

Highlights from MacKenzie Park: 1 White-breasted Nuthatch left of the two that
were frequenting pecan trees at the upper end of the park.  The bulk of the
park was unbirdable today due to excessive amounts of supposedly not allowed
tent camping.  One wonders, given that the park has no working restrooms, why
the authorities are turning a blind eye to camping?

Highlights from Clapp Park: 1 Blue-winged Teal, 2 Cinnamon Teals, 2
Black-necked Stilts, 3 American Avocets, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs, 2 Least Sandpipers, 2 Brown Thrashers, and 31 Cedar Waxwings.

No Ash-throated Flycatcher below Lake Six yet and no Western Kingbird in my
yard yet - and I had gotten used to seeing these two species by the end of
March.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock