[texbirds] Long-tailed Duck @ San Jacinto Monument -Yes

  • From: Steve Gross <sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:55:46 -0600

This afternoon, I had a chance to shoot over to the Monument to try for the
continuing LT Duck.

After seeking the giant raft of scaup from several vantage points, Teri Zambon
and I found it to be visible from the circular parking area just east of the
monument (obelisk?) itself. She (the duck) was on the near edge of the flock,
but it took several changes of viewing position to find her.

If you go, be patient. A scope certainly helps.

Bon chance. Getting to see this rarity made the trip worth it. Teri and I
finished off with shrimp and crab at the Monument Inn before taking the ferry
back toward I-10 and our respective homes.

Steve Gross
NW Houston
sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.surfbirds.com/blog/peregrinations