[texbirds] Lk. Bastrop

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:24:57 -0600

.
....was pretty quiet this morning, likely because I lugged the blasted
scope and tripod around all morning.  Was hoping to find the previously
reported Cordilleran Fly. but after 20 -25 minutes gave up on it and  also
no LeConte's Sparrows, but did have Sedge Wrens. There were 3 singing
White-eyed Vireos which is good this far north as well as a Black-and-white
and Nashville Warbler.  Also two chipper little Golden-crowned Kinglets and
a couple of Gnatcatchers came in as well. Heard what I thought was a
Virgina Rail, but only twice and could not discount a strange coot call.
  What was real cool was seeing a hen harrier take down a Coot, there are a
few of the later on the lake.  Last time I saw that happen was back in the
80's at Hornsby.

 Completely surprised and freaked out a coyote on the trail.  Spent some
time looking for Woodcocks where I have had them a time or two in the past
but dipped on those.
Again no Sapsuckers...Where the heck are they this fall??...for sure not in
my area.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621