[texbirds] Least Grebes and a few other sightings

  • From: "Darrell Vollert" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Rio Brazos Audubon <brazosaudubon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 12:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Late this morning I made a brief visit to a privately-owned lake north of
Chappell Hill. Around noon I spotted a pair of Least Grebes with two babies.
The little ones were swimming on their own and riding mama's back. Although
Least Grebes have been observed in Washington County since the late 90's, this
is the first time I have seen the species in the county.

Also observed at the lake were 3 Blue-winged Teal, 5 Anhinga, 8-9 Mississippi
Kites feeding over the lake, 2 Red-eyed Vireos, and heard 2 Painted Buntings.
Driving back home I observed another 10 Mississippi Kites near the main
entrance to Chappell Hill Estates.

A Swainson's Warbler sang briefly in my Chappell Hill neighborhood upon my
return home.

Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill