[texbirds] Lavaca Co. - 5/24 highlights

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:14:09 -0500

TexBirders,

I did some birding in Lavaca County this Friday to sample the variety of
habitats in that county.  I birded Green-Dickson Park in Shiner (boring), the
Henneke Fish Hatchery, Navidad River at Vienna (CR 124), then spent a couple of
hours in the rice country along CR 19 and 17.  For a change, the wind was NOT
gusty so the day was rather pleasant, even though Spring migration is
essentially done.  Managed to get off the highways before Memorial Day traffic
got bad, but the intersection of US 183 at I-10 is a log jam right now.  Some
highlights:

Mottled Duck - a pair in the rice fields off CR 19.
Blue-winged Teal - A bit numerous for this late in the season: 22 in small
groups on CR 19 and 17.
Redhead - a drake on a small pond along CR 19.
American Bittern - seen flying along a canal on N side of CR 19.
Bald Eagle - two adults; one at the Henneke Fish Hatchery and one along CR 17.
Solitary Sandpiper - small pothole wetland along CR 19.
White-rumped Sandpiper - a single bird in same wetland with SOSA.
Black Tern - one over flooded rice field on CR 19.
Com. Ground-Dove - two pairs; one each on CR 19 and 17.
Ladder-backed Woodp. - one along CR 17 about 100 yds W of the Colorado Co. line.
Acadian Flycatcher - one singing as if on territory, Navidad River at CR 14.
Couch’s Kingbird - one or two on territory among many Westerns in Green-Dickson
Park in Shiner, an otherwise very sterile park.

*** Brown-crested Flycatcher (?) - one probable bird in line of live oaks along
CR 17 at 29.274N, -96.6759W.  Just 50 yds E of a pipeline crossing marked by
red/white posts.  Large Myiarchus with somewhat paler underparts colors, all
dark bill, apparently wide dark outer margin on undertail.  Bird responded
somewhat to playback of BCFL and not at all to Great Crested; not very vocal
but did give one short “brrrp” call.  I’d appreciate some confirmation if
anyone else can refind this bird.

Chuck Sexton
Austion