[texbirds] Lapland Longspurs at FM529 Turf Farm

  • From: "Fred Collins" <fcndc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:48:22 -0600

This afternoon while on my way to Houston I found a flock of about 350 geese
on FM 529 where it runs concurrently with FM 362. This flock had maybe 15-20
white-chinned geese along with Snow and White-fronts. I was able to identify
2 Canada Geese and 3 Cackling. I would have likely been able to identify
more and likely find a Ross's but did not put a scope on the flock or spend
more than 5 minutes with them. Most were lying down and many had their heads
tucked but a few milled around which is how I was able to see the ones I
identified.

At the turf farm near Peregrine Estates on FM 529 I found a flock of
longspurs. I watched them for 10 minutes or more as they flew about landed
and moved again. Eventually they landed close enough for me to have  decent
look and saw a couple of well marked males. A better scope would have helped
greatly. I see longspurs at this field almost every year but these were the
first of this winter for me there. There are American Pipits and often
blackbirds at this site as well. A couple of times I was able to see the
longspurs and pipits in the same field of view for a nice comparison of
shape, behavior and colors.

Fred Collins

TOS Life Member

HAS Advisory Board