[texbirds] Lake Livingston SP

  • From: Donna Kelly <dkelly163@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 13:13:26 -0600

Ever since we left Anahuac and came to Livingston, the weather has been
cold and rainy. On Monday, we finally had a break, so we decided to check
out the state park at Lake Livingston. What a bird-a-ful day!
At Space # 27, we had Black-and-white Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler,  Downy Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Carolina Wren, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Eastern
Phoebe, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Blue-headed Vireo,
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher,  and Brown Creeper.

That was just for starters...

On the boardwalk nature trail, we hit the sparrow jackpot.
Chipping , Clay-colored, Song, Lincoln, Leconte's, and no less than 13
White-Throated Sparrow. The White-throats were calling to each other and
noisily scratching in the leaf litter on both sides of the boardwalk,
totally oblivious to our presence. We added northern Cardinal and American
Goldfinch there, too, along with more Downies and Sapsuckers. All in all, a
very fulfilling afternoon.
Only waterbirds were DC Cormorant and I counted 21 in one raft.

--
Donna Kelly
Home is where you park it!