[texbirds] Lake Buchanan (Llano Co.) 4/21/13: 19 Shorebird species

  • From: Tim Fennell <tfennell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:20:41 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders,
I birded Llano County from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm today, concentrating on the
western shore of Lake Buchanan and the county roads around Click. The recent
rains resulted in a spectacular Bluebonnet display but Lake Buchanan is still
incredibly low. I'll hate to see it by next Fall if we don't get significant
rain before then.  The low lake lake level created quite a shorebird migration
spectacle (by Edwards Plateau standards) with 1000+ shorebirds present at Cedar
Point Rec. Area. The shorebird numbers below are rough estimates (but if
anything they are on the very low side) as a Peregrine made passes every 15
minutes or so that I birded the area and rearranged the flocks frequently.
Cloudy skies kept temps to 74 F by the time I headed back home to Round Rock
and the bird song was great all day, seemingly never being out of earshot of a
Bell's Vireo (and hearing Bell's, Black-capped and White-eyed Vireos singing
with 20 meters of each other at one spot). A
 great day to bird the Edwards Plateau! Below is a partial list of the 107
species recorded for the day.

Cheers,
Tim Fennell
Round Rock, TX (15 miles north of Austin)

C= Cedar Point Rec.Area

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  2 Hwy 261
Gadwall  6
American Wigeon  12 C