[texbirds] Laguna Gloria -- Sunday 13th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:59:42 -0600

Today featured several "double-takes." First, a Bewick's Wren in my yard this
morning for the third wren species of this week. Second, a surprising
encounter at a stop sign when a Red-bellied Woodpecker flew down to steal
an acorn from in front of a Squirrel.
Now to Laguna Gloria. My first sight of the day was a swirling mass of
Ring-billed
Gulls that persisted all afternoon. I checked and waited for the Broad-tailed
Hummingbird, but no such luck. However, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the
parking area was quite nice. The male Bufflehead was back with two
Pied-billed Grebes. Northern Cardinals were uncharacteristically quiet, but
the Yellow-rumped Warblers and Carolina Wrens more than made up for that. I
found the Barred Owl, and both pairs of Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Downy
Woodpeckers were vocal.

Strangely, no Great-tailed Grackles flew over, and, by my count, I missed at
least 10 that I could reasonably expect to observe, so I am quite
optimistic to break 60 in my patch by the end of the month.

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX