[texbirds] Lafitte's to Quintana - 4/19

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 21:22:43 -0500

I tried my best to cover ground and get a general feel for the state of
migration after work this afternoon rather than stick to one spot. I
personally birded from Lafitte's to Quintana.
From what I saw personally and heard reported it appears the the "fallout"
from this front was great at Sabine Woods and got progressively and
significantly lesser the farther west you went. Checked the beach for any
unfortunate migrants that had a bad end last night but didn't locate any
washing up. The birding at Lafitte's was alright but considerably less than
what should be expected given the front. Quintana was very slow given the
conditions.

Noticeably absent were any large flocks of migrants like buntings, orioles,
tanagers, and swallows. Didn't even hear a Dickcissel.

Highlights from my wanderings are below.

Lafitte's Cove 3:15pm to 5:30pm

Acadian Flycatcher - 3
Philadelphia Vireo - 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush - 1 singing (My FOS)
Blue-winged Warbler - 1
Tennessee Warbler - a few
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2
Northern Parula - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - several
Blackpoll Warbler - 1 male
Black and White Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 1
Worm-eating Warbler - 2
Prothonotary Warbler - 1
Ovenbird - 1
Northern Waterthrush - 1
Mourning Warbler - 1 male (My FOS)
Hooded Warbler - 2
Kentucky Warbler - 1
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Several Tanagers and Orioles
White Crowned Sparrow

San Luis Pass Nature Trail - Birders need to check here more often!
In 10 mins of birding I had..

White-eyed Vireo
Eastern Kingbird - 3
Eastern Pewee
Blackpoll Warbler - 1m, 1f (nice side by side comparison)
Yellow Warbler - 1 m
Northern Parula - 1f
Tennessee Warbler - 3
Common Yellowthroat - 2
Painted Bunting - 1m
Indigo Bunting - 8

Quintana:

Warbling Vireo - 1
Veery - 1 (My FOS)
Tennessee Warbler - 3
Hooded Warbler - 1
American Redstart -1
Western Tanager - 1f
Lots of Orioles and Hummingbirds

So, 19 warbler species all told and some other good stuff, but rather
sluggish given time of year and weather conditions.

Winds won't be going strongly SE until Monday so I have a feeling good
birding will continue along the coast through the weekend. Get out and see
what you can find!

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX