[texbirds] Lafitte's Cove 4/3 - 21 Warbler Species - Cerulean and Swainson's

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:38:33 -0500

With the weather conditions lined up for a fallout I got done with work and
headed straight for the coast this afternoon. I made it to Lafitte's about
3:45pm where 18 warbler species had already been tallied for the day. I set
to work playing catch up and managed to find 20 species of warblers by
sunset, one shy of the 21 reported for the day thanks to a sneaky Palm
Warbler that was only seen earlier in the morning. Plenty of migrants on
the move with many waves of birds passing through.
The best warblers in the afternoon were 2 Male Ceruleans and a single
Swainson's Warbler. A great day to be out birding, and with northerly winds
over the Gulf tonight I'd suggest getting out tomorrow if you missed out on
today's action.

Highlights from the afternoon are below:

Several Upland and Pectoral Sandpipers along Stewart Road
Scattered groups of American Golden Plover

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - several
Great Crested Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo > 15
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo - 4
Hermit Thrush - 1

Blue-winged Warbler - 3
Tennessee Warbler - 6
Orange-crowned Warbler - 3
Nashville Warbler - 3
Northern Parula > 20
Yellow-rumped Warbler - many, 2 Audubon's present
Black-throated Green Warbler - 2 males
Blackburnian Warbler - 2 males
Cerulean Warbler - 2 males
Yellow-throated Warbler ~ 10
Black and White Warbler > 20
Worm-eating Warbler - 2
Swainson's Warbler - 1 at the middle drip
Prothonotary Warbler - at least 4 individuals
Louisiana Waterthrush - 1
Northern Waterthrush - 1
Kentucky Warbler - 1 male
Wilson's Warbler ~ 4