[texbirds] LaFitte's Cove today

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:23:43 -0500

Hello all,

I birded there from 11am to 4pm. It was pretty good, maybe best day I
have had in 2013 so far.

10 species of warbler I saw or others told me...Yellow, Audubon's,
Black-and-white, Black-throated Green, Kentucky, Hooded, Worm-eating,
Blackburnian, American Redstart, Chat was heard.

Red and White-eyed Vireos,
Orchard Oriole,
Scarlet and Summer Tanagers,
Indigo Bunting
Yellow-billed and Black-billed Cuckoo
Gray Catbirds were the most common bird today
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Swainson's Thrush
Easter Wood-Pewee

Here are some photos:

A very tame Black-throated Green Warbler hung around the drip all
afternoon..   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802504

As did this male Yellow
Warbler...    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802505

male Scarlet Tanagers are always a delight to see close
up...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802506

This male Summer Tanager had a
mouthful....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802507

A female Summer Tanager was right
overhead...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802508

and a moment later she showed the bushy crest
....  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802509

This Gray Catbird by the drip was all hunched up like a
dove....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802510

A Red-eyed Vireo after his
bath...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802512

Here is the Swainson's Thrush in a tree behind the
drip...  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149802513

Good birding,

David McDonald
friendswood TX