[texbirds] La Sal del Rey & Hargill Playa

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:49:02 -0500

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and I made a run up to La Sal del Rey looking for some reported
Buff-breasted Sandpipers, and while we dipped on them, we did manage a
respectable 77 species for the morning! Highlights include several
Swainson's Hawks (including a dark morph) and a beautiful adult
White-tailed, a pond with a lingering Pintail and a Solitary Sandpiper,
lingering Brewer's Blackbirds, a lingering immature White-crowned Sparrow,
and at Hargill Playa, a pair each of Snowy and Wilson's Plovers, along with
a couple of Baird's Sandpipers. A lowlight was a young Great Horned Owl
along Brushline that had gotten caught on a barbed wire fence. L

Blow-by-blow and photos are here (warning: a picture of the owl is
included):

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/April/La%20Sal%
20del%20Rey.html

.or here: