[texbirds] La Sal Viejas

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 16:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Finally drummed up the courage to tackle those dicey back roads going into
the La Sal Viejas tracts, and had just a marvelous time this morning!  If
the roads are ABSOLUTELY DRY, then they should be perfectly passable so long
as  you have a high-clearance vehicle to negotiate the ruts and "stuff"
growing in  the middle!  But the habitat was lovely and encountered all the
typical  thornscrub birds (the route I took is described in the EBird account
below);  Viejas was dry where CR 30 crosses it, but there was a little
salt-like wetland  along CR 20 that had several distant peeps, too far away to
ID.
 Had a  juvie Black-throated Sparrow along CR 30 with some adults later on,
so that was  pretty neat getting those for Willacy County!  A little
wetland towards the  end of CR 30 near the farm had some stilts, a White-faced
Ibis, and a Shoveler  hanging with a couple of Fulvous Whistling Ducks!

From there I just poked up all the dirt roads until I got to FM 1761; one
of them ended up in a sorghum field where a Bronzed Cowbird posed with
sunflowers in the background, and a pretty Lark Sparrow was my consolation
prize
 for getting lost amongst the gas wells!  What I initially thought was a
pair of Mottled Ducks turned out to be a Mottled with a male Mallard on her
tail!  That was a surprise!

Another productive "in-and-out" road was CR 105 (according to Google); the
road crossed a heavily vegetated canal that had tons of Cave Swallows
nesting  underneath the bridge!  Blue Grosbeaks and Painted Buntings were
singing
up  a storm, and White-tailed Hawks and Caracaras patrolled the area.  I
took  another dicey county road (Horned Lark Heaven) that eventually got me
over to  1761, where I went north to the parking area for the trailhead (no
Masked Ducks  in the pond ;-)); was starting to spit, so I reneged on a
hike...  The nice  topping was a gorgeous male Bullock's Oriole that popped up
on
the way  out!

Ended up with 68 species for the morning and a new road-birding route (but
only when it hasn't rained...)!  Pictures and recordings are posted  here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/May/La%20Sal%20
Viejas.html

Bird List:

La Sal Vieja- Teniente Tract (LTC 007) , Willacy, US-TX
May 26, 2014  6:46 AM - 11:06 AM
Protocol: Traveling
28.0 mile(s)
Comments:   Route begins at the intersection od CR 20 and SR 186, goes
north  and then back down CR 30, checking Garza Ranch & Chapa Roads, cutting
over  to FM 1761 via CR 3200, then up to the parking lot on Brushline.
68  species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  15
Fulvous  Whistling-Duck  15
Mallard (Northern)  1     May  have been domestic, but was flying behind a
Mottled Duck:  apparently wild  male Mallard, with dark head and chest
separated by white neck ring; overall  paler coloration than the Mottled in
front.
Mottled Duck  3
Northern  Shoveler  1
Northern Bobwhite  15