[texbirds] Kinney County Big Day effort - 109 species

  • From: Bryan Calk <bryanrcalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 00:06:47 -0500

Howdy!
On Friday May 9, Kathy Bader and I took on a Kinney County big day to see
what we could do.

Highlights were:
3 Montezuma Quail, one female calling, and two more flushed at Kickapoo
40+ Wilson's Phalaropes at Fort Clark
Elf Owls at Kickapoo. Not really a highlight in the sense that it was
unusual or unpredictable, but they're just always so much fun
Eastern Screech-owl at Kickapoo
Great-crested Flycatcher at Fort Clark
Gray Vireo (see: Elf Owl)
1 Parula sp. Heard only from under the same tree that a Tropical was
singing for an extended amount of time two years ago (didn't get to do much
birding last spring at the Fort. Bummer it didn't want to play)
Black-headed Grosbeak at Kickapoo
All the buntings!
Yellow-headed Blackbirds all over the county

We ended up getting rained out (YAY!) during the time allotted for doing
Fort Clark which put us behind and resulted in missing some key locations,
and we only managed to find ONE, maybe two migrant warbler species, which
is really unusual for this time of year. We are typically covered up in
Nashvilles and Wilson's by now, but none were found. Overall in the end, I
felt like it was a success!

Full list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18311513

A huge shout-out to the new staff at Kickapoo Cavern State Park for opening
the gate early for us so we could start the day there. Apparently they are
also doing quail workshops this week and starting Montezuma Quail surveys
soon! Very exciting stuff!!!!!! (maybe they'll set up a feeding station
*cough*)

Good birding!

Bryan Calk
Fort Clark Springs/College Station