[texbirds] King Ranch mountain plovers return

  • From: Tom Langschied <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 01:25:20 +0000

TexBirders,
This morning Jim Sinclair & I visited the Laureles Div. of King Ranch (Kleberg
County) in hopes of finding Mountain Plovers. Weather conditions were extremely
good for detection of plovers given the overcast sky and light rain.
Interestingly we did not find any until  almost the end of our return trip
through the area, but we ended up finding a small dispersed flock of 15
Mountain Plovers. Our first for the winter season. Other birds of note included
Burrowing Owl (2), Merlin (1), and Sprague's Pipit (1).
Listed further below is the small but complete list of birds encountered in the
ag fields of this part of King Ranch.
Good birding,
Tom Langschied
Kingsville, TX

1. Turkey Vulture  1
2. Northern Harrier  1
3. White-tailed Hawk  4
4. Red-tailed Hawk  1
5. Sandhill Crane  63
6. Killdeer  27
7. Mountain Plover  15
8. Greater Yellowlegs  1
9. Long-billed Curlew  2
10. Least Sandpiper  4
11. Long-billed Dowitcher  5
12. Wilson's Snipe  2
13. Mourning Dove  24
14. Burrowing Owl  2
15. Crested Caracara  4
16. American Kestrel 5
17. Merlin  1
18. Sprague's Pipit  1
19. Savannah Sparrow  7
20. Western Meadowlark  7

Sent from my iPhone

This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, duplication, or distribution of this email and any files
transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or
entity to which they are addressed. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or
distribution of this e-mail and its attachments is prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, destroy it immediately.

All emails sent from or to an addressee of King Ranch, Inc. or one of its
subsidiaries shall remain the property of King Ranch, Inc.

King Ranch and the Running W logo are both registered trademarks in the United
States.