[texbirds] Katy Prairie Thurs April 4

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:47:46 -0700 (PDT)

After work today I headed to Eagle Lake, got between 6-12 Franklin's gulls and
anywhere
from 100-200 cliff swallows.  Strangely, the ponds at Paul Rushing's had almost
no swallows.
Paul Rushing has a large flooded area to the west of the baseball buildings.
These had shovelors
swimming by flooded picnic benches, 3 snipes, both yellowlegs, pectoral
sandpiper and several
dozen golden plovers. All the dowitchers were long billed, most in some
transition to
breeding plumage.  @30 savannah sparrows. no larks, pipets.

Pattison Road had at least 75 golden plovers and as far as I could tell (none
near the road) were
all golden plovers, no upland or smaller peeps.  Many Swainson's, in fact,
almost everywhere I
visited had swirls of Swainson's Hawks. Found one broad winged hawk perched on
Pattison.

Several promising mud fields for sandpipers held nothing so far.

Carolyn Dill
Houston