[texbirds] Jack County 5/23

  • From: Steven Glover <stevenglover99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:27:10 -0500

Hi all,
Yesterday, 5/23, I spent the day in Jack County, a long time nemesis of
mine and pretty much everyone else who has ever birded there.

I started before dawn on County Line Rd. in the northeast portion of the
county. With plentiful rainfall this would bring you to a portion of the
western arm of Bridgeport Reservoir but currently there is no water in
sight. Chuck-wills-widows were common before dawn and I also added Common
Nighthawk nd Great Horned Owl. Other birds along this road and nearby Long
Rd. included Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Bell's and Red-eyed Vireos,
Black-and-white Warbler, Cassin's and Grasshopper Sparrows and Summer
Tanager. The only migrant was a singing Alder Flycatcher.

I then went south on Coca Cola Ranch Rd. Birds on this road were similar
but added a few birds, such as Greater Roadrunner and a singing Eastern
Wood-Pewee.

As usual, Lake Jacksboro was nearly devoid of anything but stumps but a
White-rumped Sandpiper was working the shore near the highway and a small
group of Northern Shovelers proved to be new for me.

Next I took Red Rd. (just north of the reservoir) and then Post Oak Rd. and
had interesting birding throughout. There are two ponds near the
intersection of Red Rd. and Post Oak Rd. that are worth checking. Today
there was very little other than another White-rumped Sandpiper and a small
group of Blue-winged Teal. Surprising to me was a pair of Orchard Orioles
by the first pond and a total of 5 birds along this road. Also along these
roads were numerous Grasshopper Sparrows and a couple of Cassin's, an
out-of-place Eastern Kingbird, a Mississippi Kite and, best of all, a male
Pileated Woodpecker that flew right in front of my car. I assume this is
about as far west as this species is likely to be found.

Good birding,

Steve Glover
Fort Worth