[texbirds] Is there a demand for a TEXBIRDS app?

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:30:18 -0600

Recent posts by Eric and Tim got me thinking, is there a need for a
TEXBIRDS app? I think it would be pretty straight forward to pull down
the data and build in the capability to post an email. Anyone with any
experience in writing apps want to collaborate on this?

You can use some apps to get most of this now. TEXBIRDS has an RSS
feed, //www.freelists.org/feed/texbirds

One can simply pick an RSS feed app that would give you alerts in the
back ground and get alerts when an article is posted on TEXBIRDS. I
like Newsify, it presents the posts like a newspaper and is pretty
pleasant to read  There are a huge number of RSS apps though and you
can experiment on one you like.

All app phones have some way to send email and as long as you're off
moderation you can post messages easily from the field. Even if you're
not off moderation, or even if you're not subscribed you can post, I
will just have to approve it.

I think most text message carrier also allow you send a text (SMS)
message to an email address, so you could send a message to TEXBIRDS
from a text message, just use texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as the phone
number. I use ATT and my SMS messages to email show as coming from
7134124409@xxxxxxxxxxx. Send an SMS message to your self to see what
yours is.

Once you know the address you can subscribe yourself to texbirds with
it and IMMEDIATELY set your subscription to VACATION so you won't get
all messages as a series of SMS messages. Send me a message asking
that address be taken off moderation and you have a handy way to post
an update from the field even when you don't have data service as long
as SMS is working  (SMS is usually the last standing service even
after calls)

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX