[texbirds] ID help on Nightjar

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:15:19 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

I posted photos of what I thought was an Eastern Whip-poor-will
yesterday morning at the Texas A&M birding site in Galveston.

When flushed, it definitely did not have white bars on the wings, and
some photos showed the wings to be shorter than tail.

No one who looked at the photos questioned my ID. Here are the 2
photos from yesterday.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149921790

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149921791

I went back there after work today, and arrived at 6pm this evening
and the bird or a similar one was still there.

When flushed it did have buffy but not white transverse bars on the wings.

Here is a photo this evening.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/149939638

Looking at Sibley, it does not have the gray patches on the back that
a whip should have.

Also, the white under the 'shoulder', he says is indicative of a nighthawk.

There was a Lesser reported in Galveston a week or so ago.

The Lesser Nighthawk female has buffy wing bar in flight. But also,
there are buffy spots on the primaries in this bird.

The overall color looks browner than a Lesser in Sibley, but I think
this is a Lesser Nighthawk female rather than a whip.

It certainly has primaries extending beyond the tail in this photo as well.

Even if this is a Lesser Nighthawk and not a Whip, still a great bird
for Galveston and it may stick around especially if a nighthawk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David McDonald
Friendswood Texas