[texbirds] Hutton's Vireo, Harris' Sparrow etc, NW San Antonio

  • From: Nathaniel Nye <nathaniel.nye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nathaniel Nye <nathaniel.nye@xxxxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stephen Nye <srnye55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:46:59 -0600

Good morning,
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I took a walk around the jogging
trails through the green/undisturbed areas adjacent to my neighborhood in
NW San Antonio (just off Galm & Culebra). Very birdy morning. There was a
time when I was surrounded with dozens of birds, and within a 30-ft section
of trail I counted 22 species! Amongst the numerous Kinglets was a really
nice Hutton's Vireo. I saw it at close range, a very cooperative little
bird. At times it was so close to me that I could barely focus my
binoculars on it. At that close range, the bill structure was obviously
that of a Vireo. Even the texture of the feathers was smoother and finer
than a kinglet, and the facial expression was different, eyes a little
bigger. Fun bird to see. Last I recall seeing this species was 2008 in
Madera Canyon, AZ. I also enjoyed seeing a Harris' Sparrow, my first of the
winter.

Cheers,
Nate Nye
San Antonio

Observer: NateNye
2014-11-28 08:26
San Antonio, 12891 West Fm 471
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 Miles
120 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
    1    Northern Pintail
    3    Green-winged Teal
    5    Redhead
    8    Ring-necked Duck
    1    Least Grebe
    1    Sharp-shinned Hawk
    1    Red-shouldered Hawk
    10    Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
    1    Common Ground-Dove
    3    White-winged Dove
    5    Mourning Dove
    1    Greater Roadrunner
    1    Ladder-backed Woodpecker
    1    Eastern Phoebe
    1    White-eyed Vireo
    1    Hutton's Vireo    very cooperative,seen at 10-20' distace, with
mixed flock of 20 R-c Kinglets, 6 Carolina Chickadees, and numerous other
species. Observed repeatedly over about 15 min
    1    Common Raven
    8    Carolina Chickadee
    5    Black-crested Titmouse
    2    Verdin
    2    House Wren
    2    Carolina Wren
    2    Bewick's Wren
    2    Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
    20    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    4    Northern Mockingbird
    2    Orange-crowned Warbler
    4    Spotted Towhee
    4    Clay-colored Sparrow
    1    Field Sparrow
    6    Vesper Sparrow
    8    Savannah Sparrow
    4    Song Sparrow
    1    Lincoln's Sparrow
    1    White-throated Sparrow
    1    Harris's Sparrow    1st winter
    2    White-crowned Sparrow
    10    Northern Cardinal
    10    Red-winged Blackbird
    1    Great-tailed Grackle
    12    House Finch
    1    Lesser Goldfinch
    20    American Goldfinch

This report was created and sent using BirdsEye BirdLog (
http://birdseyebirding.com/)