[texbirds] Hummers and others still in Russ Pitman Park

  • From: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "tex birds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:06:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that both the Calliope and Broad-billed Hummers
are putting on quite a show at the Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park
today.

Both birds are still feeding primarily in the Shrimp Plant all over the park,
but today the Calliope was also feeding at one of the feeders near the shrimp
plants on the east side of the park.  For about 10 minutes we had both birds in
the same binoc view! The Broad-billed was sitting nearby while the Calliope was
feeding at the feeder.  A little bit later the Broad-billed came up to the
feeder and unsuccessfully tried to get nectar from it at least twice.  It will
be interesting to see if he learns the trick!

The little mixed flock of warblers, both kinglets, Red-breasted Nuthatches and
others is still in the park as well as the resident birds.  Yesterday a Great
Horned Owl was spotted perched in the park about 2 pm.  The blue jays finally
harassed it to fly towards the west side of the park but it was not located
again.

Birds seen in the park today:

White-winged Doves - 25+
Monk Parakeets ab 12
Broad-billed Hummingbird - 1 juv m
Calliope Hummingbird - 1 ad m
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Downey Woodpecker - 2
Blue Jays - ab 8
Carolina Chickadee - 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1-2
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2-3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 4
American Robins - 1
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 6+
Pine Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 1m
N. Cardinals - 3
House Sparrows - 2

The Nature Discovery Center and Russ Pitman Park are located at 7112 Newcastle
between Bellaire Blvd and Evergreen St just inside Loop 610 in Bellaire TX.

Mary Ann Beauchemin
Senior Naturalist
Nature Discovery Center
mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
713-667-6550 (phone)
713-667-7654 (fax)

For more information about the Nature Discovery Center, our programs and how
you can support our work, visit www.naturediscoverycenter.org