[texbirds] Hudwits Still @ Estero!

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 17:18:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Wanted to get the subject news out there, but before that, I met Phil Pryde
 and company from San Diego at Sabal Palm Grove, hoping to get their target
 Ringed Kingfisher before they had to run back to Harlingen to fly home.
Dipped on that, but we had nice views of the usual Valley specialties,
including  a lifer White-eyed Vireo for the group!  I think the highlight was
the
 nesting Least Grebes (at both ponds) and more White-tipped Doves than you
could  shake a stick at!  A distant Green Kingfisher was at the big blind,
and we  flushed a Pauraque along the trail that unfortunately only I saw
well...

After I kissed the crew goodbye I blasted over to Estero to try for those
Hudsonian Godwits, and thank God they were still around!  Got marvelous
looks at both birds, along with stunning Stilt, Pectoral, and White-rumped
Sandpipers!  A group of Wilson's Phalaropes fed feverishly, and their
"resident" Green-winged Teal was feeding as well.  Made a loop around the
Tropical
Zone and picked up Ani for the day at the Puddle.

Pictures are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/May/Sabal%20Pal
m%20Grove.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Green-winged  Teal                      Anas crecca
Plain  Chachalaca                       Ortalis vetula
Least  Grebe                            Tachybaptus dominicus
Pied-billed  Grebe                      Podilymbus podiceps
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Green  Heron                            Butorides virescens
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
Common  Gallinule                       Gallinula galeata
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Hudsonian  Godwit                       Limosa haemastica
Stilt  Sandpiper                        Calidris himantopus
White-rumped  Sandpiper                 Calidris fuscicollis
Pectoral  Sandpiper                     Calidris melanotos
Wilson's  Phalarope                     Phalaropus tricolor
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Groove-billed  Ani                      Crotophaga sulcirostris
Common  Pauraque                        Nyctidromus albicollis
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Green  Kingfisher                       Chloroceryle americana
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Carolina  Wren                          Thryothorus ludovicianus
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Hooded  Oriole                          Icterus cucullatus
Lesser  Goldfinch                       Spinus psaltria
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
55 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)