[texbirds] Houston Nightjars

  • From: James Hinson <jmhinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:50:28 -0700 (PDT)

Want to thank Steve Gast for having the where with all to head out to Addick's
Reservoir and check out the area for calling nightjars. Turns out this is a
great area to listen for them. Not only that, it's an easy place to find, with
convienient parking. So I figured birders might want to know where this place
is. To get there, go north on N. Eldridge from I-10(Katy Frwy) past Clay Road
through the second traffic light and take a left on a street called Leedwick.
Go
all the way to the end until you see a parking lot near a small neighborhood
park. Park here and you will see a drainage ditch. Follow the ditch to your
left
and it leads out to the reservoir area. Get there by 7:45 PM.
I've been out with birders the last 2 evenings, we've had a
calling Whip-poor-Will both times. We had at least 5 calling Chuck-wills-Widows
Sunday evening, but none last night. The whip put on a show last evening,
giving
4 long calls between 8:09 PM and 8:19 PM. The second time it called, it called
76 times in a row without stopping. Had 1 flyover Common Nighthawk.

Jim Hinson
Houston, Tx.