[texbirds] Hilarious - When one FOTE doesn’t like another one bathing too close + TB vs FB

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:38:56 -0500 (EST)

It was really hilarious moment when one Forster’s Tern did not like another
 one getting too close in the bath - just check this 6 second video clip -
no  photos could possibly illustrate this event. Note the FOTE call as well

_http://youtu.be/tZRwsytbSr0_ (http://youtu.be/tZRwsytbSr0)

This FOTE action could in some visual aspects illustrate situation between
two radical points in opinions about internet fora etc. Many if not most TB
 members seems to be in between so that is not applied to them. TB, or what
it  was in the past, I see (or saw) as a great place to post information
about Texas  birds and even more important to start discussion about species
identification  (this forum function deteriorated in recent years and now is
almost non  existing, very very sad). Also TB could serve (and still is)
helping archive  personal information that are easy searchable and remain in
original form (BTW I  liked search function better in old forum). FB is rather
a social gathering (I  see secretaries at work spending most work time
checking it and sending  instantly all photos taken during the day there when
not watching Housewives -  sorry only heard serial’s name - I do not own TV).
As noted no rules apply,  posts can be edited or deleted (not much value in
my opinion). I started to use  the internet soon after it was introduced, I
tried some photo fora in the past  (looong time ago) only to discover that
they attract masses that want to hear  how wonderful photos everyone is
taking every time one takes one. Sister, mom,  aunt, grandma and friends
already
said so -  request for ‘objective  critique’ was a request for repeating
those opinions. Posting WOW opinion under  somebody’s photo was an open
invitation to exchange kisses. I kiss your back so  next you will kiss mine. FB
in
many aspects serves that kind of needs for these  who need them. Sure for
those who desperate need recent rarity locations is a  tool as anything else
that will help them to collect more ticks. Also TB  messages I can choose
what to read. SPAM, security etc were already thoroughly  discussed here. . To
summarize I found TB superior (especially in the past -  will this time
ever come back?) to places like FB. Never say never, but I do not  have plans
to use FB when not really need it and from what others said about it  I see
no use for me as bird information source. Please note that everything I
wrote is my personal opinion (and we all have different noses) that most likely

is different from majority of opinions. Recently more and more is stressed
that  (most, some say all) people have tribal instinct - heritage from the
past. But  on the other hand often people have problem with communication
depending of  their believes. I found impossible to discuss some subjects with
others - I see  no productive end when one would try to discuss that Earth
is 4.5 billion years  old with somebody who deeply believes that Earth is
only 6 thousand years old …  I am sure both opponents can be happy and enjoy
their lives much better without  this quarrel. I hope we all agree that
everything has beginning and end (well,  some things have two ends, like
sausage
or rope) and I hope that the TB’s end is  not around the corner in the near
future.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_