[texbirds] Highlights from the Canyon Lakes - Today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 17:37:59 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Better late than never, it is said, and I celebrated my 50th birthday
(yesterday) by finishing off my 2012 game with a belated December visit to the
Canyon Lakes.  I will be doing a whole bunch of e-bird entries for my patch - a
little later - but wanted to get the highlights out before I ran out of energy.

I had nothing of note at Buddy Holly Park.

I had nothing of note at the Erskine Street Marsh.

I had nothing of note at Aztlan Park.

Finally, at MacKenzie Park, things started kicking.  At the upper end of the
park - upstream from the golf course - I lucked into 1 Cooper's Hawk and 2
White-breasted Nuthatches.  At the lower end of the park - downstream from the
golf course - I stumbled across an amazing feeding flock composed of 2 Northern
Flickers, and additional 3 White-breasted Nuthatches, 1 Brown Creeper, 1
Bewick's Wren, 28 Eastern Bluebirds, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 23+
Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 PALM WARBLER, 4 Pine Siskins, and 8 American
Goldfinches.  This 'flock' moved through a decent patch of sparrows including 1
Fox Sparrow.  There were also 2 Greater White-fronted Geese flying about with
the horde of Cackling/Canada Geese at and over the site.

Highlights at Mae Simmons Park - between disc-dodges - included 2 Sharp-shinned
Hawks, 2 Common Gallinules, 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 Downy Woodpeckers,
another White-breasted Nuthatch, 1 Winter Wren, 2 Carolina Wrens, and 1 male
Common Yellowthroat.

Highlights at Lake Six included 1 male Wood Duck, 1 Redhead, 1 female Common
Merganser, 1 Western Grebe, 1 Merlin, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, and 1 Red
Crossbill (flying from the lake edge into the Lubbock Cemetery in the company
of 47 American Robins).

Highlights in the short stretch of the river still open to the public below
Lake Six included 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 Cooper's Hawks, 2 more White-breasted
Nuthatches, 1 White-throated Sparrow, and 2 Harris's Sparrows.

Had I had the time and the inclination I might have been able to get into
double digits for White-breasted Nuthatches; the eight I saw were certainly a
personal best for a day in my region.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock