[texbirds] Highlights from Cochran County

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:37:28 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Rick Kostecke and I worked on his county hundreds list for Cochran County on
Sunday, 29 December 2013.  We were in the county for about four and a half
hours and managed to tally 41 species between the two of us [Rich missed one
species that I saw (Bewick's Wren) and I missed one species that he saw (Song
Sparrow)]  Highlights included 30 Canvasbacks at the Whiteface Sewage Ponds, 1
Bewick's Wren north of Whiteface, 2 Townsend's Solitaires at Morton City Park,
95 McCown's Longspurs west of Morton, and 1 female EVENING GROSBEAK at Morton
City Park.

We are aware that the Evening Grosbeak is a review species.  Rich spotted the
bird (congratulations, buddy!) and got many photographs while I stood back and
admired the bird.  Rich will be filing a report with the TBRC.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock