[texbirds] High Island off the charts redux

  • From: Quaintance Don <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:34:05 -0500

I think everyone is getting the picture from the general tenor of posts from
the UTC.  But to add some specificity to my earlier hyperbolic description of
what was happening at High Island today. Cornell Team Sapsucker sure had some
excellent timing.

The NE wind in the morning switched to east in the afternoon.

The end of First Street past Hooks Woods was teeming with indigo buntings and
quite a number of Blue Grosbeaks. The Lesser Nighthawk remained in same spot in
oak tree at the corner of First St and the street that makes a T with First

All the sanctuaries had ridiculous numbers of both Scarlet and Summer Tanagers,
Baltimore Orioles, and Red-Breasted Grosbeaks. In Smith Oaks it was not
uncommon to see 5 or 6 Scarlets populating one small tree.

Cuckoos were everywhere, low and high, and not shy. Multiple Yellow-Billeds and
at least 2 easily seen Black-Billed

Large numbers of Red-Eyed Vireos with plenty of Yellow-Throated and Blue-Headed
and smattering of White-eyed and Philadelphia

Swainsons thrushes all over underfoot, along with several Veerys and Wood
Thrushes and multiple brown thrashers

male Western Tanager remained at Smith Oaks today

I didn't check the final warbler list at the kiosk, but I had 23 species (and
missed at least two that were reported: Golden WIng and Swainsons)
bluewinged
tennessee
n. parula
yellow (in abundance along edges of big pond)
chestnut sided
magnolia
y. rump
black throated green
blackburnian (a few)
cerulean
blackpoll
bay breasted (several)
black and white (many)
am redstart
wormeating
prothonotary (several)
n. waterthrush
kentucky
hooded (lots)
canada
common yellowthroat
Y-B chat
and
OVENBIRDS (all over the place and not bothering to secret themselves)

Define the event as you will, it was certainly a big payoff after some
relatively slow days this season.

Don Quaintance
Houston

Don Quaintance