[texbirds] High Island and Galveston pictures, warblers, sandpipers and gulls too

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 15:13:43 -0500

Friday was a fun day along the coast with numbers of migrants about. The
commonest warbler was male hooded
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589593
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589591

There were a few females too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589589

It helped that they were out in the open so much and that they did not mind
coming close to your feet if you stayed still. Good set of bristles too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589579

The louisiana waterthrush were common too in and out of water. Note the
long heavy beak and the large white eyeline that wraps back of the eye
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589475

The white chin is diagnostic but can be hard to see
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589474

Even from the back the eye stripe is diagnostic
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589469

A single northern waterthrush was present with them but it was never
allowed to come out and join them in the ditch. Nor could it go near
brushpiles etc without getting attacked and even whacked. The solitary
sandpiper lorded it over both waterthrush.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589466

Prothonotary warblers were also low cover birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589456

And could be seen peering from the roadside clover where they found lots of
caterpillars
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589455

But did come out
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589453

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589451

This is the bird that used my leg as a perch to spot bugs
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589448

A yellow-bellied sapsucker was working on wells and protected them from
yellow-rumped warblers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589273

Only summer tanagers seen and mulberries not really ripe yet
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589269

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589268

One has to go by the rookery to see the roseate spoonbills
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589266

and great egrets
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589264

Up at Anahuac a dark hawk was at the entrance road. At the time, using the
scientific method of eneky, beneky, kleeky and bey, I called it a harlan's
hawk. But later at home, guessed that it actually the rufous phase
red-tailed hawk that had been down the road earlier in the season near the
Oyster Bayou Tract
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589237

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589236

Also got pictures of the dark bird that has been down at Pear Orchard Road
and using the above scientific principle, I changed the field ID to a
second rufous bird for the day.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589234

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589230

Upland sandpipers are still out in the grassy fields.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589228

All of the ditches on Bolivar had solitary sandpipers, with some having
several together
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589027

Lots of good looks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589029

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589032

Others were feeding in the water
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589023

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149589021

And the first territorial scissor-tailed flycatcher of the season
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588969

And one of the wintering savannah sparrows
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588968

The day before a red-breasted merganser was on the beach
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588635

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588636

they can walk
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588637

and be a mystery bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588638

One of the younger quintana lesser black-backed gulls showed its tail
pattern
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588631

Both adult caspian terns
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588629

and younger birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588630

And a mystery seagull. I ended up calling this bird a herring gull but it
stood out as paler and smaller than the other herring gulls nearby. On the
texas city dike.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149588628

Lots more warblers and stuff can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston