[texbirds] Heard Museum Bird Banding/Census, 5/31/14

  • From: Tom Heath <heathwtom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:17:06 -0400 (EDT)

The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary, McKinney, TX
Bird Banding & Census Report
Thursday, May 31, 2014
Banding Team: Betty, Darlene, Karen, and Tom (and Meredith & Jimmy)

  Total species banded - 1
  Total birds banded - 1

Tufted Titmouse - 1
---------------------------

  Total species recaptured - 3
  Total birds recaptured - 6

Northern Cardinal - 3
White-eyed Vireo - 2
Carolina Wren - 1
---------------------------
Georgette's census

Heard Nat. Sci. Mus.& Wildlife Sanct, Collin, US-TX
May 31, 2014 7:45 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
46 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  6
Mallard  2
Hooded Merganser  12
Anhinga  1
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  12
Little Blue Heron  13
Cattle Egret  17
Green Heron  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  6
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  3
Chimney Swift  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher)  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  4
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  6
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  3
Purple Martin  13
Barn Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  5
Carolina Wren  6
Eastern Bluebird  1
Northern Mockingbird  4
European Starling  2
Prothonotary Warbler  4
Yellow Warbler  1    The Yellow Warbler I have in my field guides is Dendroica
petechia.  The bird was a dull yellow  with no field marks.  Earlier in my walk
I had heard the 'sweet sweet little more sweet" song in the willows along our
boardwalk, but was unable to locate the bird.  this bird was with the epmidonax
flycatcher and a family of chickadees.
Northern Cardinal  20
Indigo Bunting  9
Painted Bunting  2