[texbirds] Re: Hawk ID Help

  • From: Bill Clark <raptours@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:48:21 -0600

Hi All,

Thanks, Lynn, for sharing these great pics with all of us.

I respectfully disagree with Charles. There are few records of pure
dark-morph Red-tails in Texas. But dark-morph Harlan's are quite common.
This is an adult dark Harlan's. If one photo the wide tail bands typical
of the latter are clearly evident, with no rufous evident. However, some
adult Harlan's have quite rufous tails, with different markings than
the  narrow dark bands of Red-tails.

I would love to see some photos of the alleged dark adult Red-tails from
north central Texas.

Cheers, Bill Clark.

On 1/20/2013 2:03 PM, Charles W. Easley wrote:
> Dark adult Red Tail Hawk   See page 122 of Sibleys.  Even though there is no
> red showing in this picture on the
> birds tail, this is a bird that we see in the north central Texas area in
> winters.  That is my opinion.
>
> Charles Easley
> cwebirds@xxxxxxx

Bill Clark