[texbirds] Gull Trip to Cedar Bayou and Cedar Point 3/13/15

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400

Gene Campbell and I ran out in my boat today to look at gulls and below is
a quick update as to what we found.

Thompson's Fish Camp - Nothing but the normal Ring-billed, Laughing and
Herring Gulls

We left the ramp and made a swing out towards the islands looking for the
Western Grebe with no success.

Cedar Point and sand bar. Lots of big gulls on there bar but nothing good
except one first year Lesser Black-backed gull.

Pocket behind the sand bar - Lots of gulls sitting where the pocket opens
into the bay. Only thing I found here was an adult Thayer's Gull. Almost as
big  as the surrounding Herring Gulls with a small round head and a smaller
yellowish  bill with a red spot on the bottom and a dark eye.

First stop at islands just inside Cedar Bayou - Had three Lesser
Black-backed Gulls with one adult and two first or second winter gulls. Also
found
an adult California Gull with a mantle just a little darker than herring  and
Ring-billed gulls with wings projections that looked slightly longer.

Second stop in Cedar Bayou was the spoil Island - On the Chambers side were
 mostly Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls with just a few larger gulls like
Herring  Gulls. I did see one bird in the group that I am pretty sure was one
of the  First Year Great-Black-backed Gulls but did not get a good look
before it flew.  I will look at the pictures to make sure.

Next we turned around and looked back into the Harris Co side.- Not a lot
there but mostly Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls and one small group of
Herring  Gulls and sitting with them was an adult California Gull. No way to
tell
for  sure if it was the one we had just seen a few minutes earlier.

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master  Naturalist
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx