[texbirds] Guadalupe Mountains NP, 26 Nov - PACIFIC WREN

  • From: Mark Lockwood <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:03:38 +0000

I birded Frijole Ranch and McKittrick Canyon at Guadalupe Mountains NP today.
The clear highlight was a Pacific Wren in McKittrick.   It was found along the
main drainage about 150 yards up from Pratt Cabin. At the third crossing of the
drainage there is water on the left.  It is lined with bunch grass (seep muhly
I think) the wren was about 20 yards upstream.   I placed a pile of rocks next
to the trail even with where I saw the bird,  but it is on a small rise in an
oak - maple stand.

I watched it for 20 minutes and I was first alerted to it by the its call.  It
frequently gives the proto-typical chimp note of Pacific Wren that is
reminiscent of that of a Wilson’s Warbler.  I took about 80 photos of it.

Other highlights included:
Winter Wren - at Frijole giving typical calls
Cassin’s Finch - 8 at Frijole
Juniper Titmouse - 2 at Frijole
Williamson ' s Sapsucker - 1 male in McKittrick in a group of ponderosa pines
just before the Hunter' Cabin
White-throated Sparrow - 3 in McKittrick

Mark Lockwood
Alpine,  TexasEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at