[texbirds] Grebes at Texas City Dike 1/22/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:54:54 -0500 (EST)

IToday I worked at the Texas City Prairie Preserve a half day ate lunch
with a friend and since I was in Texas City decided to go check out the Dike.
Driving down the Dike thereb were two bunches of Grebes on the right the
first  was 5 the second at least 16. When I came back down the dike a few
minutes later  there was a very large bunch swimming out down the Dike. At
first
I thought they  were all Eared but then noticed tghart maybe there were
more Horned in there  than I thought. At one point I counted 42 but the way
they were constantly  diving it was hard to both count and get a good look at
any of them. I took some  pictures and will look at them later tonight to get
a better idea what the mix  was. It was the biggest bunch of Grebes I think
I have ever seen.

Down behind the levee at the City Park there were Gadwalls, Mottled Ducks,
Coots, and Buffleheads.

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  County