[texbirds] Granger area field trip report from Kleb Woods Senior Birding Bus trip

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:38:28 +0000

We took a senior birding bus trip from Kleb Woods Nature Center in Harris
County with 38 passengers this past Friday, Jan. 25. We arrived in the area
about 9:15 a.m. and went to Willis Creek Park.  There we worked the sparrow
flock near the group shelter area and found it hunkered down and
non-responsive. Once we pushed into the woods and flushed a Cooper's Hawk bird
activity was much better. We found Fox, Harris and the other usual suspects. No
towhees could be raised. The surprise of the trip came when we flushed two
different Barn Owls from greenbrier thickets while trying to coax the sparrow
flock up. That was a new Williamson County bird for me. We then went north up
CR352 and soon found a family group of three Whooping Cranes.  Several
participants got pretty nice photos when the group flew away and came right to
the bus and swung around it. I suppose they were curious. We were unable to
find any longspurs or plover once we started looking about 11:00 a.m. After a
lunch break at Sirloin Stockade in Taylor (several people come on this trip as
much for lunch there as the birds!), we resumed our plover/longspur search but
with sunny skies and a fair breeze we again struck out.  Our final consolation
prize for the day was a Burrowing Owl in the concrete pile on CR356.  It posed
nicely, yet distantly, for many photos. We left the area shortly after 4:00 p.m.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park