[texbirds] Granger Lake - Whooping Cranes return, Geese, and LeConte's Sparrow

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:01:19 -0600

I birded Granger Lake today, starting at Friendship Park at around 7:30.
Lots of Geese were flying, several groups were to far away to identify, but
5 Cackling Geese flew to the northeast and flew back overhead, joined by
about 8 Snow and 4 Ross's Geese. Another group of about 30 Snow/Ross's flew
over a bit later.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8214136043/in/photostream/
Three Franklin's Gulls were also at Friendship Park, resting on the yellow
floating barrier that designates the swim area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8214136439/in/photostream/
20 or so American Avocets were also around Friendship Park in the morning,
but a fishing boat finally spooked them to the other side of the lake
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8214136795/in/photostream/
In the tall grass to the west of Friendship Park, I flushed a very
cooperative LeConte's Sparrow, who sat up and posed for pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8215219926/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8214134041/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8215220916/in/photostream/
I then left Friendship Park, and went to scope out some waterfowl from the
dam. As i was walking along the dam, through the trees on the shoreline i
saw to huge white birds standing in water: Whooping Cranes! They soon flew
across the inlet, onto the other side of the peninsula, making themselves
visible best from Friendship Park. After scoping the lake for ducks
(Redheads, Buffleheads, Ring-necked Ducks, Scaup, and Ruddy Ducks were all
i found) I drove back over to Friendship Park. In addition to the two
Whooping Cranes closest to the dam, there were three more Whooping Cranes
very far away on the Sore Finger peninsula.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8214132033/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8215216918/in/photostream/

I then drove the county roads north of the lake. I had a flock of 10~
McCown's Longspurs from the turn of CR 360, and another small group of
Longspur sp. the flew over 971 and landed somewhere in field on the corner
of 971 and CR 352. No Burrowing Owls today, as the one on Alligator Rd,
352, and 357 were all not on their usual spot. Only other birds of note
were a Horned Lark on CR 360, and 6 Hooded Mergansers on a pond visible
from CR 359.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8215215626/in/photostream/

Sam Fason,
Austin