[texbirds] Granger Lake Area - Wednesday

  • From: Mary Ann Melton <mammelton50@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:59:56 -0600

Spent the day on the north side of Lake Granger with friends today.  I was
especially pleased to meet Dan Callaway. He was gracious enough to include us
when hunting for fox sparrows at Willis Creek Park. Highlights at Willis Creek
were the fox sparrow, white throated sparrow, spotted towhee and a hermit
thrush.
The burrowing owl was apparently hunkered down from the cold wind and we didn't
find him. Nor did we see the whooping cranes.

We did see a red tailed hawk that had white patches on its wings very visible
both in flight and when perched.  Our best guess is a light western juvenile.
I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Here is the list - a fun day!

mammelton
2013-01-30 09:13
Granger Lake Area (HOTE 031)
Traveling
30 miles
480 Minutes
Observers: 3
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Joined Dan Callaway's group for awhile at Willis Creek Park. So
grateful that he let us tag along to find fox sparrow, white throated sparrow,
spotted towhee and hermit thrush!
3 Mallard
2 Double-crested Cormorant
3 Great Egret
5 Black Vulture
4 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey
5 Northern Harrier
1 Red-tailed Hawk
Specie Comments: Light western juvenile
8 American Kestrel
12 Ring-billed Gull
2 Forster's Tern
2 Rock Pigeon
10 White-winged Dove
2 Great Horned Owl
Specie Comments: Macedonia Cemetery
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Eastern Phoebe
4 Loggerhead Shrike
1 Blue Jay
3 American Crow
1 Carolina Chickadee
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Specie Comments: Willis Creek Park
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Specie Comments: Willis Creek Park
1 Hermit Thrush
Specie Comments: Willis Creek Park
1 Northern Mockingbird
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Spotted Towhee
Specie Comments: Willis Creek Park
3 Vesper Sparrow
10 Savannah Sparrow
1 Fox Sparrow
Specie Comments: Willis Creek Park
1 Lincoln's Sparrow
1 White-throated Sparrow
1 Harris's Sparrow
10 White-crowned Sparrow
6 Northern Cardinal
200 Red-winged Blackbird
10 Eastern/Western Meadowlark
15 Brewer's Blackbird
Mary Ann Melton

Mary Ann's View Nature Photography Website
http://www.maryannmelton.net

Mary Ann's Blog
http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/