[texbirds] Good winter for hummers?

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:18:41 -0500

As many of you know, Margaret and I refer to our residence as
'Hummerhome'. Prior to the start of the severe drought we would typically
have five to seven species spend the winter with us, and we have 12 species
on our yard list. During fall migration we would usually have 5-6 days
with several hundred hummers in the yard all day long, and a few weeks with
40-50 all day long.
But, since the drought hit, we have had very few hummers come through in
migration, and have been lucky to have five or six individual birds in the
winter.

Thing may be looking up. The last couple of days we have had 30-40 in the
yard at one time. That is a huge increase compared to recent years.

--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein