[texbirds] Good birds on the upper Texas coast today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:31:37 -0500

Tyler Audubon and NETFO birders had some interesting sightings
today  on the upper coast. At Texas Point/Jetty Rd, we had 5 Clapper Rails
on the road. At Sabine Woods, we had a Great Kiskadee, a Palm Warbler, a
Worm-eating Warbler and 3 unbelievably  confiding Prothonotary Warblers. At
the corner of FM1985 (the road to Anahuac NWR) and Hwy 124, we had one
Glossy Ibis with 31 White-faced Ibis. We got nice views of the Ruff at the
Anahuac Skillern tract. It is in the first wet field on the left, with a
large mixed flock of dowitchers and Stilt Sandpipers. There were also 20
Hudsonian Godwits there. At Anahuac NWR, we had a Palm Warbler in the
initial section of Shoveler Pond, and a Purple Gallinule in the last section.
On David Sarkozi's rail walk, we had close-up views of a Yellow Rail, and
finally, at the Yellow Rail Prairie at dusk (around 7:30 pm), again thanks
to David Sarkozi's report yesterday, we had the Short-eared Owl hunting
over the fields and a King Rail running across the road. Despite the
shortage of passerine migrants, it was a fantastic day.
Peter Barnes
Tyler