[texbirds] Garza and Erath County highlights from 2 November 2012

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:58:13 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I made a trip down to Austin over the past weekend to visit with Rich Kostecke
and get in some quality TCC birding.  Rich has already shared highlights from
our adventures on 3 and 4 November 2012 - it's up to me to post a few
highlights from the trip down and back.

On Friday, 2 November 2012, I made my way from Lubbock to Austin via Erath
County.

The sole highlight from my region was 1 Common Raven just south of Justiceburg
in Garza County.

I made it to Erath County by 10:45 AM and birded the western and southwestern
edges of the county with great intensity until 3:00 PM.  I managed to boost my
list in the county from 57 to 94 species  but will have to get in another visit
to put it on my TCC map: my sole previous visit to the county was also in a
November and there was just too much overlap in my 11 November 2011 and 2
November 2012 lists to clear the hurdle.

Highlights from Erath County included 1 Spotted Sandpiper and 1 Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker at the lake near the intersection of Highway 8 and CR 355; 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, 1 White-breasted Nuthatch,
and 2 Brown Creepers at the cemetery near the intersection of CR 355 and CR
507; 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Blue-headed Vireo, 2 Cave Swallows, and 1 Common
Yellowthroat (and associated edgelands) at the large lake viewable from FM 914
south of Alexander.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock