[texbirds] Re: Galveston to Anahuac yesterday/COTE age

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

This a very interesting observation, at least to me. Can you share with us
how you aged these COTEs. I observe COTE coming in good numbers for over
week  now but no SY (2nd calendar year) - I assume that this is an age you
described.

SY COTE should now to be in the middle of preformative pp molt (PF) that
usually is completed around August; PA1 should commence somewhere in May or
so  and is either partial or incomplete so even then no pp might be molted.

What I see now (have many documented in detail) these migrating COTEs are
rather ASY (most likely many adults). They completed or are about to
complete  DPB (perhaps PB2) so this is on schedule (March in both cases) or
little
late  (have P10 not molted yet); also, all I have seen so far are in
advanced  prealternate pp molt (somewhere around p3) something you should not
find
in SY  birds at all; according to published data. So perhaps you found some
birds I  didn't see yet or might have some better understanding I would love
to  learn.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 4/2/2013 11:56:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx writes:
There  has been a substantial influx of first year common terns among the
beach  tern flocks.