[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 15 September

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:35:09 -0500

Hi all:
The most accurate thing that I can about today was that it was interesting.
Wherever the landbirds are, they stayed there last night; I missed Eastern
Kingbird for the first time this season.  Totals of seven orioles of two
species, three Blue Grosbeaks, and four Dickcissels point out how very poor the
landbird flight was.  However, my only warbler was a Northern Waterthrush
bolting west past the tower.

The raptor show was not much better, except for kites.  Single Swallow-tailed
and White-tailed kites were outshone by the huge movement of Mississippis:  736
counted as migrating of the 801 seen.  With at least (the very least) 65 of the
202 Mississippis around the tower shortly after 4 pm not crossing East Bay, I
predict that there will be another good liftoff in the morning.  This morning's
had 49 Mississippis right over my head at 8:54 am, so plan accordingly.
Regardless, the nearly 800 raptors counted set a new benchmark for the season.

What will the weather bring (or not) tomorrow?

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX
http://smithpointhawkwatch.wordpress.com/