[texbirds] Full Report from the Floydada BBS - 29 June 2013

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 12:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I tried to complete the Floydada BBS (Floyd County) on Saturday, 29 June
2013.  This route, which runs eastward from a point north of Floydada to FM 28
and then westward back toward Floydada has been cursed by incredibly
well-targeted bouts of heavy rainfall this year and this was my third attempt
to get the route in.  My last attempt almost succeeded, though, as a heavy
thunderstorm to the north stayed to the north through the first thirty points,
started drifting south during the six southward points on FM 28, and then
dropped in as a real toad-choker, obliterating the last fourteen points by
flooding or gooifying the dirt road I would have had to run.  With six routes
to run over, at best, five weekends and every single route vulnerable to
road-obliterating rains I am surprised that this is the first year I didn't
complete every route.  Crittering wasn't all that bad though, oddly enough, few
of the playas were holding water and this byproduct of persistent drought made
for a poor waterfowl/wader/shorebird showing.

The entire list of critters seen/hear during the first 36 stops of the Floydada
BBS:

2 Pipevine Swallowtails
2 Checkered Whites
2 Monarchs
1 Queen
1 Variegated Fritillary
1 Common Buckeye

3 Great Plains Toads
2 Woodhouse's Toads
(giving the thunderstorm its due - many more amphibians popped up just after I
finished counting at stop 36 and was waiting to see if the storm would pass and
allow me to move down the creek (I mean dirt road) to stop 37.  I probably
could have counted tens of toads at stop 36 alone and there was probably more
than two species present by the time I left.

1 Eastern Hog-nosed Snake
1 Gopher Snake

16 Mallards
2 Blue-winged Teals