[texbirds] Friday at Bastrop State Park

  • From: Mary Ann Melton <mammelton50@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 23:35:16 -0600

I had not been over to Bastrop State Park since the first day it opened after
the fires.  While I still grieve at the loss of the beautiful forest and all
the property damage to homes and businesses, I was amazed to see how the
grasses had come back and filled in to create meadows in front of the still
standing burned pines.  I was also surprised to see how close the highway is to
the campground and saddened that the nature trail by the campground seems to be
gone.  Birding was best by the cabins.  I did not spend a lot of time birding,
but here is my list. I saw another wren along the road near the campground in
brush that I wished I had gotten a better look at - I was hoping for winter
wren, but bird would pop up and pop down too fast for me to be sure.
mammelton
2013-01-25 01:15
Bastrop SP (HOTE 033)
Traveling
10 miles
150 Minutes
Observers: 2
All birds reported? Yes
Comments:
2 Turkey Vulture
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk
Specie Comments: Dark morph
2 Mourning Dove
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Eastern Phoebe
4 American Crow
1 Carolina Wren
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 Eastern Bluebird
8 Cedar Waxwing

Mary Ann Melton

Mary Ann's View Nature Photography Website
http://www.maryannmelton.net

Mary Ann's Blog
http://maryannmelton.blogspot.com/