[texbirds] Forster’s Tern with misleading impression of having a dark carpal bar

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:11:29 -0500 (EST)

After my last post I got some tern’s photos to check and all were Forster’
s  none were Commons. Several days ago I already posted photos of FOTEs
molting  head feathers into alternate plumage (so black nape is not longer a
field mark  separating those from COTEs). Here is an example of the
‘illusion’
of a dark  carpal bar one might have when watching some FOTEs depending on
light conditions  and view angle. Although COTE is possible to be found now
it is an event rather  not likely to happen on Texas shore at this time of
the year.  I can  understand people having trouble to separate these species
as not too many  people spend a lot of time watching terns but I cannot
understand why eBirds is  accepting winter (like from January) COTE records
without verification. I have a  feeling that most winter COTE records from
Texas
are wrong.

Here is an example, a composite photo of one FOTE, an individual showing a
dark carpal bar at one moment and does not just a moment later. Some tern
feathers are build differently than non-tern feathers. When fresh those are
covered by an ephemeral, powdery "bloom" of tiny white barbules on their
upper  surface. This ‘bloom’ wears away and feathers became dark with age.
Also,  dependent of lighting condition and view angle the same feather can
look totally  different - like in two posted photos taken only less than second
apart. But  during one second fast flying bird can move quite a lot and
move from one  lighting condition to different one - even slight difference
will show in photo;  see background difference. Hint: when I photograph birds I
do that in manual  mode (almost exclusively and this works great for me) -
this not only helps to  not ‘blow’ highlights but allows to compare photos
later, specially when looking  for false contrast.  Many FOTEs completed
their prebasic molt a couple of  months ago so some feathers are showing aging
effect as well.

Here is an example of FOTE showing dark carpal bar (also remember that when
 watching from the distance fast flying bird the hood can appear looking
solid  black at some angles and photo might be needed to help confirm a true
pattern):

_http://www.pbase.com/image/148470059_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/148470059)

And here already posted photos that are showing FOTE head patterns in
January:

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148393042_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/148393042)

Mark B Bartosik