[texbirds] Follet's Island

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:53:15 -0500

All,

Tad and I did our once every 10 days, shorebird survey on Follet's Island
today. We had some unusual birds for a shorebird survey. In the dunes along
our transect we found a gorgeous male Blackburnian Warbler, two Yellow
Warblers, two Common Yellowthroats, a Northern Waterthrush, and a bunch of
Indigo Buntings. We weren't actually walking through the dunes so I'm sure
there was more stuff than that up there. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were
coming in from across the surf and feeding on any available flower. We saw
10 to 20 of them in a one mile transect. It was pretty incredible to see
these tiny birds fly right in from the Gulf. I talk to people about birds
migrating across the Gulf of Mexico all the time without really thinking
about it. When I have an experience like this, it just boggles my mind that
they can accomplish this feat.

Yes, there were shorebirds! We had two Red Knots, one in pretty spectacular
plumage. The number of Piping Plovers is dwindling. Many Semipalmated
Plovers though. No Wilson's Plovers interestingly enough. Last time we had
lots.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm