[texbirds] Flam Owl weekend report

  • From: "Sanchez, Isaac C" <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:55:27 +0000

TEXBIRDERS:
 Saturday morning, on the spur of the moment, my wife and I decided to try for
Flam Owl.  So 370 miles later we arrived at SPI Convention Center by about 4:30
PM.  There were already about 15 to 20 birders trying to look at the bird that
was buried in deep brush and vegetation.  We were told that the owl usually
changes roost locations every day so we were encouraged that on Sunday we would
get a better look.  But the owl didn’t get the memo because it chose almost the
identical roosting spot on Sunday.  Fortunately, someone found a “hole” in the
thicket and trained a scope on the bird enabling an acceptable view of the
owl’s face (thank you whoever you are).  A diagnostic dark eye was clearly
visible as well as the beak and some of the reddish brown feathers around the
face.  I never got a decent photo, but we were very happy to have seen this
lifer.

As a photo consolation prize, when we returned to Austin on Sunday, we visited
Old Port Isabel Road (entering from Rt. 511) hoping to photograph an Aplomado
Falcon.  We got lucky and I was able to get off a couple of decent shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632579894910/detail/

At the Convention Center there was also a very accommodating American Bittern:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100559297474933995697/PhotoBigYear2013143#5835974268150190946

Bird on,

Isaac Sanchez

Austin