[texbirds] Re: Fish Crow west Houston

  • From: Steve Gast <segast23@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Fred Collins <fcndc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:37:45 -0500

Maybe this should be opened up for all Texbirders to comment on. I remember
such a conversation several years ago on Texbirds but don't remember how it
turned out.

The bird in question was a single bird, flying quite purposefully in a straight
line at a moderate height above ground level. I heard it approaching and
watched fly directly overhead at a height of maybe 25 feet. It was flying over
Pine Forest Golf Course where I play regularly. It was cutting a tangent off a
bend in Bear Creek and therefore flying over the course as it flew downstream
towards Bear Creek Park. I do not remember ever seeing any crows there over the
last two years. The flight of the bird seemed lighter with shallower wing beats
than the more deeply stroking flight of American Crow, but this is possibly
more a subjective kind of observation when in isolation from immediate
comparison and not a certain diagnostic trait. I did not have binoculars at the
time.

Additionally I have just heard a lot of Fish Crows up at Humble at the Shell
Houston Open where they were also present last year during the open tournament.
I worked there both years for several days and observed they are resident
around Redstone golf course.

Also Fish crows flock In the evenings in large numbers near my in-laws home in
Orlando Florida. When they are going to roost they use this same single
syllable call as a flocking or contact call rather than the double 'note' that
you hear them give when they are in family groups or territorial defense
situations.

I used to have a family of crows around me in Kingwood Texas for
10 years with youngsters around but never heard any call so similar to Fish
Crow.

I guess I feel fairly certain. But it has been 10 years since I have been
around juvenile crows.

Steve Gast
Houston TX